



Went to the thermal stream at the entrance to Huka Falls in Taupo and the main river, which is a clear as glass (see photos). Water was very hot, wish I had time for a bath. Bought a sweater, gloves and toque at a thirft store for $10
Drove to Ohingaiti to stay at the Skylark Lodge which our Rafting group rented for the weekend. My friends Chris and Nicole from Calgary included me on a Red River Valley rafting trip with Nicole's company. SkyLark Lodge is a school converted in to a Hostel. Quaint little spot. Oh yeah, and there are a lot of Sheep in NZ if you didn't know (80 million?). The hills are sprinkled with white bodies of wool.
Rafting: Decent grade 4 / 5 rapids although I felt that I worked harder in Canada, maybe because the boats are smaller at Red River. Chris and Nicole's boat flipped on two different occassions which left some of their mates shaken. First time I saw that.
Had really nice breakfast and dinner in Taihape, a bit expensive but well presented.
Drank $2 highballs at the Ohingaiti Hotel bar, sometimes $2 double as the staff was made up of locals who were already pinned. 30 of us in total so we basically took over the bar.
Thanks to Chris for getting me in on this experience with some locals and Marc for organising it.
No comments:
Post a Comment